Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Animal Farm

Ciao a tutti!



These are two different spreads from the same designer. The reason I chose these is because the playfulness caught my eye. Although I was not able to figure out the typefaces being used, they used a combination of different weights, sans serifs, and script. The combination of different colored type, different weights, and the different uses of scripts vs. sans serif typefaces help create connections and an interesting and playful contrast that compliments the content of the article. In the first article, the designer chose to tilt the text columns to mimic the way the gingerbread cookies lie on the page. This is a nice connection that helps bring a consistent tone throughout the spread. In the second article, the designer chose to put the body text in a circular  shape to mimic the shape of the cupcakes. In addition to, they took a slice out of the text to mimic the person taking a bite and/or slice out of the cupcake. This also helps bring a nice consistent tone throughout the article. I love seeing playful design like this because it reminds me that not all design needs to be serious and it can be both successful and rewarding to let loose and just have fun with the design...I also was craving sweets when I  fell upon this article, so that may have had some influence on my decision to choose these editorial spreads.

-Justin Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment