Wednesday, January 23, 2013

American Photo from 1992 by Hector J. Guerra

American Photo is a magazine dedicated to, you guessed it, American photography focusing on the artist's behind the lens. I picked this magazine up at Half Price Books a while back because I have an odd fascination with material from the early 90's. Call it a bad case of nostalgia, or cliché, but I can't help myself when it comes to that time period. 

When looking at the cover the first thing I noticed was there "text book typographic move" of using a sleek & modern san serif with a serif to accompany it. Due to my lack of knowledge of the many typefaces available out there, I'm not sure exactly what the typeface for American Photo is. I do know that it's a Geometric sans serif and I want to say that it's Century Gothic or Spartan but I don't think thats right. 

As for the serif, to me it seems condescend and the stems look like they vary from thick to thin on some of the letterforms. 

American Photo has revamped their logo since then http://www.americanphotomag.com/ but I think it's always fun to look back and see how things used to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment