Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Typophile - Olicana Script Typeface

Hello everyone!

I have found a font that I loved on Typophile.

The typeface: Olicana
Classification: Script
Created Date: 2007
Designer: Nick Cooke (link to his other typefaces: http://www.myfonts.com/person/Nick_Cooke/)
Type Foundry: G-Type (Nick Cooke designs all of G-Type's typefaces)

Now that I have given you the low-down on the font, here are a few images. The first is the typeface in-use and the next few images just showcase the font.



This is the typeface in-use. It is being used on a book that was found by a fellow Typophile in the UK at a local bookstore. The book is about eating organically and living a healthy lifestyle. The typeface, centered on the book cover, demands the attention of the viewer. In addition to, the handwritten aspects of the font help convey an organic feeling that seems more than appropriate when considering the subject matter of the book. Both of the composition and handwritten nature of the typeface help create a successful composition for the book.


 


These two images can be found in the link above. The link is to a thread in which the designer posted to Typophile to get feedback on his newly created font. You can read the thread to see the critique between the Typophiles and the original designer. These two examples showcase a few variations of the font. The first image displays the smooth and rough variations while the second image shows how all of the letters can interact with each other. There are even extra features for things such as adding ink splashes.

I was drawn to this font because, in the past, I have needed a good handwritten typeface for projects. So when I found it, I immediately wished that I had found it two semesters ago. So I definitely plan on keeping this typeface in mind for use in the future.

Finding this script font also reminded me that there are other fonts out there besides san serifs and serifs, which I tend to gravitate towards almost immediately when attempting to choose a typeface.


Thanks for reading!

Justin Hernandez






No comments:

Post a Comment