Monday, January 21, 2013

Vogue magazine & Didot

A typeface in use that interested me was the Didot typeface used in Vogue magazine. Didot, classified as a Modern typeface, seems perfect for the elite fashion magazine. Its high-contrasting strokes and thin serifs without brackets help express Vogue magazine's elegance and high-fashion drama. This typography decision (along with other design elements used in Vogue) contributes to the magazine's look and feel, which attracts an international readership, mainly including upper class women and fashion enthusiasts.


I especially liked how the Didot typeface used for the Vogue title was carried throughout the magazine as headlines of articles, like for this "Flash" section featuring Andrew Garfield.


I really liked how the white text of the "FLASH" title was mostly offset by the image and a red background, but the bottom serifs of the "F" and "H" blended into the white area surrounding the image. It was a subtle design element, and I'd like to incorporate something like that into my work. I'd also like to work with text that bleeds off the page like this one does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment