Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sentinel

Hey guys!

So I found some really great stuff on Hoefler & Frere-Jones' blog! Unfortunately, I could only choose one font. But I think you guys will like it:

Typeface: Sentinel
Classification: Slab Serif
Type Foundry: Hoefler & Frere-Jones

And here it is....

Walken on Water
 Trent Walton Austin, TX


It is used really well in Trent Walton's (co-founder of Paravel) promotion for Walken on Water. Walken on Water is an online charity project started by designers on the website Dribbble.com. It's aim is to raise money for Charity:Water by giving raffle tickets for donations. Sentinel makes the ads approachable. It is familiar because of it's ties to Clarendon. And it does a great job at catching attention.
I added the specimen sheet to not only show Sentinel further, but also because it displays one of the biggest reasons why I love this font...versatility. 


 I like slab serifs. I think they are really good at communicating effectively and being seen. But sometimes slabs seem rather inflexible. That has always been something I've found a bit frustrating. And then I found this.

Sentinel is every designer's (or at least this one's) slab serif dream. It's like Clarendon's sexier cousin. There's no doubt that most of you have seen it around. It's pretty popular for a good reason. What I find so great about this typeface is its casual, yet formal look.  It is appropriate as a bold, headline font, but also ,when looking at the other styles available, it becomes appropriate for smaller formats as well. That was what sealed the deal for me. Creating book weights for this font was really smart because it is nice to have a slab that is in italics and has a weight that I could use in an elegant paragraph.

This is definitely a font that I want to buy and have in my arsenal. I have a tendency to gravitate towards sans serif typefaces and Sentinel reminded me that serif fonts are just as cool. I will absolutely be making more of an effort to incorporate more typefaces like this into my designs.

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Kameron Fehrmann

No comments:

Post a Comment