Tuesday, January 15, 2013

itc fonts - Rockwell

Jim Jordan

The typeface: Rockwell
Classification: Slab-Serif
Created Date: (1910) 1934 by Monotype
Designer: Frank Hinman Pierpont.

glass1.jpg
glass3.jpgglass2.jpg
img src: http://www.maraid.co.uk/blog/2012/03/glass-in-domestic-building-a-book-of-ideas/

Rockwell is my guilty pleasure when it comes to slab-serifs. I know Clarendon is cool and Archer is basically the greatest thing ever right now, but nothing beats the unmistakably strong and edgy Rockwell. It is a perfect choice for headlining due to it's consistently bold nature. It truly has passed the test of time and is a font I call upon in my designs often.

The object I chose is a book published by Pilkington Brothers about modern glass design of the late 1950's early 1960's. Rockwell is used as the subheading on the front cover and headlines on subsequent pages. I personally love design work from that time period (Mad Men anyone?) and tend to horde anything from that era. The houses illustrated are hard edged and angular, which are similar qualities found in Rockwell. It has a classic quality yet exemplifies modernity as seen in "Glass".

No comments:

Post a Comment