Monday, January 28, 2013

Lone Star Music Sign from Superflys

Ciao a tutti!



I stumbled upon this beautifully handcrafted sign while at Superflys music store in San Marcos, located near the square next to subway. It is a serif font, but the name of the typeface is unknown. I felt that it was such a good choice for this Texas/Southern music company because it was, for one, made out of wood and some rusty metal/iron material. But also because it was carefully handcrafted. The handcrafted variation of the stems, bowls, etc. show the hand of the typographer and helps it evoke a more personal and local small-town feeling out of the typeface. Texas can be known for locally handcrafted products in smaller local towns and I believe that this typeface would appeal to customers that come from these local towns and country music fans.

I found the typeface next to the country section of the music store which contained music from both local and national artists. Because of this, I also applaud Superflys for appropriately placing this handcrafted sign in the store. Finding this typeface reminds me that there is a perfect font for every company and when that perfect font is chosen, it can produce great results. The results ranging from reaching the targeted demographic to being noticed by a designer such as myself.

-Justin Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment