Monday, January 21, 2013

Coming Undone for Fonts (Hi-Fructose Magazine)





This unique typeface caught my eye as I was flipping through the latest issue of Hi-Fructose, a magazine for contemporary artworks. This font was chosen as the title for an article/spread showcasing Come Undone, a recent exhibition by artist Beth Cavener Stichter. Her animal sculptures are self-portraits representing different aspects of her femininity, each exploring themes of vulnerability, power, and desire. The pieces have a metaphorical, mystical quality about them, with some even playing off of fairy tales.

While I'm still searching for information on this typeface, I'm beginning to understand why this was chosen for the spread. It's inviting and threatening all in one—the soft curves of each letter are feminine and harmless, while the harsh, angular serifs seem to jab out like little knives. Like thorns on a rose. Such a weird juxtaposition, but it is a perfect reflection of the meaning in Cavener Stichter's sculptures. Even the way it's placed on the page: the tall caps of "Come Undone" are at once eye-catching and attractive, with the smaller text underneath drawing your eye further in and down to the actual article. Looking at the title as a whole, you notice the "prettiness" of it; it's only when you look at the letters individually do you notice the sharp, sinister qualities.

I'm not sure if I'd have a place for this typeface in my work this semester, but I am glad I came across it. This is a great example of how to combine several emotions into one. Should I ever need to achieve this kind of feeling for a piece, I'll refer back to this typeface for sure.

Beth Cavener Stichter's site: http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/

Hi-Fructose magazine's site: http://hifructose.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment