Sunday, February 10, 2013

D&D: Player's Handbook








As a level 4 Typographic Cleric, I thought the player's handbook would serve as an excellent example of well designed bodies of large content. I made a saving throw that lead me to page 24 which shows several examples of effective layout design and a script common to the dwarven people. My adventure took me further into the tome's heavy pages. 




The character specific information like spells and abilities are portrayed in a fantastic use of tabling and color coding. Most of the pages utilize a simple yet powerful two-column grid of +3 readability.




 Chapter pages needed no perception check as the chapter summary was quite easy to read on a left single column layout which is followed by a large illustration which spans both pages. My journey ended short but the trip was consistent, easy to read, and had strategic column layouts that were easy to follow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment