Sunday, February 3, 2013

Student Project - Book Cover Redesign for Type 2 Class

Ciao a tutti!

This week I was excited to share a student project with everyone. This is a student who is also taking Typography 2 at Griffith University in Australia for a foreign exchange program. I believe the student is originally from Milan, Italy. The project is a book cover redesign.






I found this project initially through typographie.tumblr.com and then followed a link to http://www.behance.net/gallery/Charles-Bukowski-Book-Series/5369835 for more information from the student themselves. The student decide to choose four different Charles Bukowski books for redesign and turn them into a series. The books are, The Notes of a Dirty Old Man, Tales of Ordinary Madness, Erections Ejaculations Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness, and Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts. The books are primarily about drinking, sex, and relationships with women.

The artist hand-rendered the sans serif type and manipulated the curvature of the type to match the contours of the bottle, which gives the imagery more form and depth. According to the artist, the concept for using bottles for each book cover came from the fact that Bukowski was constantly in a drunken state of mind when writing his books. Also, because a significant portion of his books are a result of alcohol. Therefore, he chose various alcoholic bottles for each cover to resemble this aspect of the authors life and work.

This series appealed to me because of a few reasons. First, because the student is taking the same class that I am in and to see work like this inspires me to push myself further. Second, because I am currently working on a book cover for my digital illustration class and I could relate to this students work.


-Justin Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment